In the new age of communication, there are a lot of do’s and don’ts, especially on professional platforms like LinkedIn. Hank Hoffmeier, strategic insights manager at iContact and vice president of employment services for AMA Triangle, tackled this topic in November’s installment of On the Menu: How to Use LinkedIn Effectively.
I left with some great information and I would like to share some of Hank’s tidbits with you!
Personalization is Key
- Personalize your job title with your skills. For example, Hank is not just a Strategic Insights Manager, he is also a Keynote Speaker and Author. He includes these in his LinkedIn title to show he has multiple passions.
- Don’t forget to personalize your URL.
- Create content that is relevant to you by using engaging pictures and videos in your posts.
- Choose your connections thoughtfully, and don’t be afraid to ask people why they want to connect. Take this chance to start a conversation with someone and deepen the connection.
- When reading others’ content and deciding to like or share, first ask yourself whether it provided value to you.
- “You will not receive if you do not ask.” Use LinkedIn to its full capacity by endorsing people and by writing, or asking for, recommendations.
- Hank encouraged everyone to continue to fax or write notes after you have a good in-person experience with a new connection.
I hope this gave you some good insight into Hank Hoffmeier’s session. If you want to see what On the Menu is all about in person, please join us next month at Frontier RTP for On The Menu: How Customer Insight Grows Your Business.